1. Cut beef into small cubes (1.5 cm or 1/2 in).
2. Make stock. Add beef to a stock pot filled with 2 L (2 qt) of cold water, add salt. Bring to a boil and boil the meat on medium for 40 minutes, skimming off foam periodically.
3. Add 1/2 cup of well-rinsed rice, cook for a about 1 hr.
4. Chop onion.
5. Coat a frying pan with a thin layer of vegetable oil. Add onions and cook, stirring, until onions turn golden.
6. Add onions to the soup.
8. Let soup simmer for a further 5 minutes, then add the crushed garlic.
9. Let soup stand for 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with chopped parsley or cilantro when serving.